SVMotion is a VMware VirtualCenter 2.5 plug-in that provides an integrated, graphical tool that can be used to invoke storage VMotion (SVMotion) operations. All you need to do is select the virtual machine whos storage you wish to VMotion and click to tell it which datastore you wish to move it to. SVMotion does the rest.
SVMotion 1.0 ships with the following features:
- No longer counts RDM files against datastore size, fixing the bug that plagued the last version.
- SVMotion operations against templates are not supported since VMware does not support them.
- Added tool tips that explain why a relocation cannot take place
- Automatically registers itself upon installation so you dont have to enable it inside the VI client.
- All SVMotion events write out a log, enabling better understanding of what went wrong in case of an error.
- Aside from the library that loads the plug-in, all of VMwares internal code has been replaced with the VI Toolkit for .NET.
- The project is now supported by almost 20 unit tests, helping to ensure fewer bugs and greater stability.
- The unit tests can be expanded to include testing for a system-resource supported number of servers since they use mock testing designed to work with the VI Toolkit for .NET.
The project is now built using NAnt, which allows nightly builds of the source, creates distributions, and builds the MSI installer.